“The children are so keen to get their stickers and certificates and it’s encouraging more reading in many of our children.” – Librarian at Montem School
Aims of the Reading Road Map
• To promote reading for pleasure across schools nationally
• To raise SAT’s levels across our schools
• To engage reluctant readers
• To challenge our more-able readers
• To assist teachers and children by signposting them to new authors
What is The UK Reading Road Map?
The front of the map has a map of the UK with 10 roads representing a specific genre of books
Adventure; Classics; Crime; Fantasy; Graphic Novels; Horror; Humour; Poetry; Sci-Fi and Sport
The author and title of each book in each genre are listed along each appropriate road.
The back of the map has sections listing the books relating to each genre
To the left of each book title is a coloured circle – we used a traffic light system for identifying less challenging, challenging and more challenging books
To the right of the title. we have a small blank circle, which is ticked by the teacher when the book has been read by each child
Signposting for other authors
We have also added a section to signpost children and help teachers advise on similar authors
The Signposting section has been really well received by teachers who admit they don’t have much time to read children’s literature, especially new authors
How does the Reading Road Map work?
All the resources are delivered to schools in mid-October / early November and the schools can start when they want
Some run the Reading Challenge from within the classrooms; other schools set aside space during lunchtimes; other schools use their school libraries and the librarians to manage the challenge.
How long does the Reading Challenge last?
Children have from mid- October / early November to the end of June to read as many of the books as possible
Each time the children read a book they receive a sticker (Supplied) (for all Maps)
What Age Groups does the Reading Road Map Cover?
4 Reading Road Maps will be available for schools to purchase through their local SLS
- The Adventure Reading Map (this map targets parents and Carers reading to their children in Years 1 & 2) (30 titles)
- The United Kingdom Reading Road Map for Years 3 & 4 (40 titles)
- The United Kingdom Reading Road Map for Years 5 & 6 (60 titles)
- The United Kingdom Reading Road Map for Secondary schools (Years 7 & 8) (60 titles)
Bronze, Silver and Gold Certificates are awarded when a certain number of books are read.
Please click for Price of the UK Reading Road Map
If you would like to take part in the UK Reading Road Map or would like more information, please fill in the form below